Sunday, January 17, 2010

First week January 14th to January 18th

I decided to come to Ghana for student teaching because after traveling to Tanzania and enjoying my experience there I wanted to visit another African country. By doing my student teaching here, I will be able to visit tourist spots and be immersed into a completely different culture than my own while I am actively learning through teaching at Christ the King. The Ghanaian school system and teaching practices will be helpful in becoming a well rounded teacher. I know that I will have to learn to be flexible and, in general, I will become a stronger person. Since I am friends with some Ghanaians, I knew that Ghana is a stable and more developed African country making it an ideal place to visit. I am aware that the country has many tribes and I have seen how much pride Ghanaians have in there traditional customs and meals. As with all my travel experiences thus far, I have learned a great deal about myself, about the country I am visiting, and from the people I have meet along the way. As a future educator, I know how important it is to continue on as a life long learner and that is why I am visiting Ghana, to expand my mind and experiences.

In regards to my growth professionally, I have a student teaching goal of becoming more comfortable with assessment and using them to know if I need to reteach or to find out what my students have learned. With the kindergarten students at Christ the King I will be constantly assessing the students whether it be through formative or summative assessments. I also really want to improve my classroom management skills. The classroom atmosphere in these schools is very different from the US, I know that I will have to be more firm and consistent with the techniques that I set in place. In addition, the group of students that I will be teaching will be far different than the students I have taught previously. Therefore, I hope to improve in my ability to teach to multiple learning styles and be better able to meet the needs of my students.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Michelle, I hope your learning and growing through these exciting experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    Michelle we are very proud of you. Keep up the good work
    love
    Mom

    ReplyDelete